For my 28th birthday David surprised me with tickets to Wicked. The show was actually the week before my birthday so I got to celebrate twice- hooray! While I wasn't as impressed with Wicked as I was hoping, it was still entertaining and it was really fun to finally get to a show here. It was FREEZING outside, so even though this picture turned out blurry, we felt too bad asking the nice passerby to try again...
On my actual birthday, we saw Coraline in 3D at the Ziegfeld- and boy was it a proper introduction into the NYC movie-going experience. Imagine red velvet and gold decor, vintage movie star photos, chandeliers and a theater that spans about the length of a football field, and doesn't incline much more than one either! I don't know HOW the people at the back watched the movie without binoculars! While we definitely enjoyed the novelty of being crammed into old-timey movie seats with a $30 price tag, surrounded by 1200 people talking to each other and the screen in Brooklyn accents, we couldn't help but realize how spoiled the average Utah moviegoer is to have state of the art facilities, cushy roomy high-backed chairs that convert to loveseats, and blessed megaplex dinner trays all at about half the price! But I have to admit it was a pretty cool atmosphere to watch a dark, creepy 3D flick in.
David made reservations for dinner and dessert at Serendipity afterward (I've always wanted to eat there since One Fine Day and Serendipity are two of my favorite chick-flicks and they make eating there look so fun!) On our way, we passed The Late Show, Studio 54, and Tiffany's. I was hoping we'd do more than just pass the latter, but since they were closed the only sparkly surprise I got was the flash from this stinkin' picture ;)
Serendipity was awesome. I didn't realize that all the servers would be fantastically flamboyant gay men- which made the experience of getting served a gigantic ice cream sundae with a huge slice of chocolate mousse cake lodged in it even better!
5 comments:
Happy Birthday, little one! Oh, 28... those were the good ol' days1 ;)
happy Birthday. Sounds like a fun night. I loved Wicked, but I think sometimes a live show can really differ night to night and place to place. Even the audience can make a difference. Serendipity looks fun too.
Happy birthday, Heather! Yesterday, I was thinking about a sleepover you'd had for one of your birthday parties. On Friday, we went to the 49th Street Galleria and in the morning,we had waffles for breakfast. Instead of syrup, we were instructed to butter them and then sprinkle sugar on the top. They were so good. So when Matt made pancakes for breakfast, I just had to sprinkle sugar on them instead of using syrup. Matt looked at me like I was insane. But it was worth it.
Yeah. No one mourns the Wicked. It has GREAT music, and the script is decent, but the direction and choreography are SO bad. There are major focus issues, and the way they fly through important things and dwell on stupid things kills the story. I wish you would have been able to see In the Heights before Lin-Manuel Miranda left it. I've heard that his replacement is decent, though. Go see it!
happy birthday. its a good thing that mason is taking good care of you. :)
Post a Comment