Thursday, November 20, 2008

Help! I need some "Mommy Advice"!

I need some help from all you experienced parents. Rhys just out-grew his bouncy chair. This morning he flipped his top half over the edge and got stuck dangling head down, with his lower half still strapped in. He wasn't super upset since he loves hanging upside down, but he didn't like the feeling of being stuck there. He just recently started sitting up on his own, so I guess this is the trade off!? Thankfully I was right next to him with my back turned, so I heard him do it. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I'd been in the next room, or distracted or something! I swear, if one more person tells me they get easier as they get older I'm going to freak out.

My problem now is this: putting him in the bouncy chair in the morning is the only way I can keep him entertained, in sight, and immobile while I shower and get ready. He doesn't like being left in his play yard since it's also his bed (he feels like he's being made to take a nap when he's not tired). So what do I do? I've already thought about getting a walker with wheels that lock, but I'm wondering if any of you have found other solutions... please share any tid-bits of wisdom you have!

11 comments:

Wendy said...

No worries there are plenty of things you can do. If he is sitting up now is he cool with a bunch of toys around him and just playing? Also, he's probably old enough now for a exersaucer, especially the ones that go they can go all the way around 360 degrees. Johnny jumpers are awesome and babies love them. Anything with lots of lights and sounds is great, not too great for us parents though. Anyway, I hope this helps with some ideas. For me it truly has been easier since they have gotten bigger because it was great not to have to carry two kids around, but I can see how it would be easier with having one that doesn't move around too much. Hope you guys are doing well.

Bonnie Parks said...

I was going to recommend the exersaucer too. Amy loved hers for a long time. Since I only have one kid, I don't have many other ideas. For a while I could bring Amy into the bathroom with me in her bouncer - is Rhys too big for those? I can't remember when Amy grew out of thins. She still loves being in the bathroom with me when I shower, although now she can walk up to the tub and move the shower curtain and get herself all wet. She loves it; I don't. My other solution that I do sometimes is shower while she's napping. Sometimes it's inconvenient, but if you're not going anywhere until after the first nap, it works. Good luck! And I agree. They're easier when they can't go anywhere or do anything.

The Faucheux's said...

I love my exersaucer! You can usually find them on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Or see if someone in your ward has a baby that has grown out of one so you could take it off their hands for a while! I would love it if someone took our's away for a few months. I did the nap thing, too. That was the most comfortable thing for me to do because I knew they were contained. Good Luck!

Camille Farias said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camille Farias said...

He might be a little too young for this still, but Andrei loved the baby Einstein videos. They kept his attention for a good 20-30 minutes or so while I got stuff done. I kind of made it a rule to only put the videos on when I couldn't hold him or play with him so the novelty wouldn't wear off, and so we didn't spend all day watching t.v. That probably won't work until he gets to be about 14 or 15 months, though.
Until then, I say go with the exersaucer.

Cecilia said...

i'm super opinionated, but... dont use a walker. they are dangerous. state of texas doesn't allow them for foster kids b/c they are dangerous and don't actually help kids walk. but as i saw some other people say... exersaucer. i put kellan in her's when she was about 4 or 5 months. she loved it. i hated when i had to sell it. it was a horrible day for me. invest in one. well worth it. and i used the bouncer for kellan for the same reason. exersaucer works great. :)

Morgan said...

i was going to suggest the exersaucer (sayer loves the one in the play room) and during the nap as well. sayer is usually good to be entertained with toys and crawling around for awhile, but i don't really trust asher by himself with sayer, so i usually take a shower when sayer is down for his morning nap, and asher just plays, or sometimes hangs out in the bathroom. i wouldn't say kids get easier as they get older, but they do get more fun! good luck!

"The Landlord" said...

Jumperoos are nice and they last a long time... meaning age wize. Priya's not a huge fan of hers, but her little friend that's 2 months older and a boy still loves it. Also, I don't know much about it, but for some reason a sheet at the doctors said to never use a walker - who knew!
Good luck! miss you guys!

The Mason Family said...

I would have never even considered that a walker would be dangerous. Good to know! It sounds like it's the exersaucer by a landslide...now I just have to figure out how to fit one into this tiny apartment ;) Thanks for all the great suggestions!

teriandbristol said...

Okay, I am a little late on commenting, but Bristol loved to be in one of those jumper things. They just clip to the door way and he bounces on the floor. I would just hang it in whatever room I was in. He would just jump and jump until he got tired.
I also had a baby gate that when I was in the shower, I would close the door to the bathroom and gate him in on the cabinets so he had a little play area, but couldn't get to the tub or toilet, and I just gave him some toys to play with.
And, yes, walkers are dangerous. I used to use one to entertain Bristol and he loved his but he fell down the stairs once, it was scary. It didn't hinder his walking though, he started walking when he was 9 months old. I maybe should have just been watching him closer. Yep, bad mom.
I never had an exersaucer, but my niece did, she loved hers.

Deters said...

I totally agree with the exersaucer too. I could leave Finn in there safely and he was happily entertaining himself for quite a while.