Friday, September 12, 2008

Take time to look up...

Tonight, we had to make a trip downtown in the rain to pick up something for our computer. This was the view waiting for us as we emerged from the subway on 8th Ave and 33rd St. It was gorgeous. All the tourists were huddled together in the rain trying to get a good picture, while the veteran New Yorkers walked on by under their umbrellas and never even glanced up. I felt sad that something so beautiful and majestic had become so commonplace for them. I hope we never get so used to living here that we forget to look up!

The other nice surprise we had this week was getting to stroll through Central Park. We made a trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond near the Lincoln Center and realized we were just a few blocks from the park. We walked through it for over an hour and couldn't believe how beautiful and varied it is. There are so many different "areas" to see, and each one of them has its own charm. You really feel like your walking through a movie set.

As we strolled through "The Mall" we passed a Bulgarian Olympic athlete and his coach, a Broadway understudy practicing a song as she hurried by, and a flock of little birds taking a bath in a rain puddle! We felt like we were in a scene from Enchanted.


There are bridges and lakes like this all over the place! They are so beautiful! The city skyline behind the trees looks like a movie backdrop that might blow over any minute. It's really hard to make your mind believe the two scenes actually co-exist.


The zoo was closed by the time we got there, but we still caught a glimpse of the sea lions having an after-dinner frolic.

In addition to resolving not to travel through life with our heads down, we're also going to be sure to carry a camera with us from now on since we keep getting surprised by wonderful views like this while we're out running errands (as you may have guessed, the pictures in this post weren't technically taken by us...but if we'd had a camera, our pictures would have looked pretty much the same ;)

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful. How fun that you guys get to experience the beauty New York City like this.

Lisa said...

Hey Heather, This is Lisa, John Blaser's wife. Your hubbie sent your blog email info our and John sent it on to me. Your pictures are beautiful, even if they weren't taken by you! I have a friend who just moved out to Manhattan who's husband is also going to columbia. I'll have to hook you two up! She is on my blog list, her name is Morgan.

Morgan said...

HA! Heather, that is so funny that you guys know the Blasers. I know Lisa really well from the Folk dance team. I actually am friends with John's sister April as well, who happened to marry one of my family's really good friends. Small world indeed! I forgot that your husband was from Sac as well. Hope you don't mind if i add your blog to our links.

Wendy said...

Heather,
This is Wendy Nelson, you know from your old stompin' grounds. I'm so glad that David sent us a link to your site. It seems like you already have had some amazing experiences, I would love to make it out there sometime. I have just started blogging myself recently, our site is http://www.nelsonshack.com. You just click on the links to the right. Hope all is well, and we will keep in touch.

Brent and Emily said...

Hey Cousin! I came across your blog while I was on Cami's. Hope you don't mind that I'm blog stalking you ;)

Anyway, I can't believe how beautiful NYC is. How awesome that you get to live there!