Monday, September 29, 2008

Come and Knock on Our Door... (a photo tour of our new world)

Welcome to Bancroft Hall! (it's the one closest to you on the left)
This is our new home sweet home...

Yay- you made it past the security desk and into the lobby. Hop in an elevator and come on up!

Here's our living room and dining nook. Too bad you couldn't wait 'til next week when I'll have some super cute curtains up.

Through here, you can see our bedroom- looking eerily similar to our previous one...even though the apartment was furnished I found a way to bring my beloved bedroom set! (maybe you I Spy fans can find a baby somewhere in there).

Take one step back and you find yourself in our "den" with Rhys's room to the right. He apologizes for not cleaning it up in time for you to get a closer look.

Direct your eyes upward and you'll catch a glimpse of one of my favorite features in this place...the coiffeured ceiling. Love it!

A quick 180 will assure you that we were quite serious when we said the refrigerator is in the living room. Come with us to the next stop and you'll see why...

Here's our kitchen...ette in all its glory. I'd invite you in, but only one of us can fit. What's that you ask? The rest of it? It's in the living room, remember? What's even funnier- in my gigantic townhome kitchen complete with dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, side-by-side fridge w/ icemaker and attached laundry room- I always complained about the ugly outdated cupboards and countertops. Well, I've got some pretty good looking cupboards and countertops now.

Now that you've seen our place, Rhys can't wait to show you around the neighborhood- let's go!

This is a beautiful Catholic church and rectory just a few doors down from us- one of our favorite nearby landmarks!

A little further up the street is Riverside Chapel and behind it is a gorgeous park that runs along the Hudson.

This is why our neighborhood is called Morningside Heights. The area you can see below us is Harlem. Or as we like to call it, New Obamaville.

This is one of the ways you get down into Morningside Park. It has beautiful trails, rock structures, great playgrounds, ponds, and lots of birds and squirrels! We saw a jet black squirrel there the other day. On another note, don't drink out of the Hudson river.

Keep going- we're almost to the bottom!


One of those ponds we were telling you about...

Hey look, a pre-school group strolling along in front of us. You may have asked yourself previously the best way to wrangle preschool kids. Well, here's the answer...chain them together like a dog-sled team.

Finally, we'll take a quick peek at David's world. This is Teacher's College (the name of the education grad program) and it's where he spends most of his time away from home. That's not as bad as it sounds since it's close enough that he can actually look into our neighbor's windows from several of his classes. It always reminds me of Hogwarts for some reason...

And finally, we'll cut through the Columbia main campus on our way home. This is just one of about 17 or 18 of the libraries on campus (you might recognize this one from movies like Spiderman and Hitch).

Wow- that was some tour! Rhys is ready for a nap...hopefully you're not asleep already. Next time we'll venture more than 2 blocks from our house. Thanks for visiting us.

Hopefully this has inspired you to pay us an actual visit, although you may now be asking yourself "Where the heck would I sleep?"

8 comments:

Jeremy said...

HOLY CRAP! I miss you guys so much! I hate David right about now for taking you off to Hogwarts. I promise I won't keep you in the cupboard under the stairs if you come back!

Spendy said...

I felt like I was really there... And you're story telling abilities brought the pictures to life! :)

Oh, and I went to a private school for kindergarten and one of my few memories is that of them take a really thick rope and tying it around our waists to make a little chain gang when we went for walks around the neighborhood. I guess "good ideas" die hard...

Morgan said...

no WAY!!!! how in the WORLD did you get such a nice kitchen. i am insanely jealous right now. check out our blog for pictures of our pathetic excuse for even a kitchenette!!! it makes me want to put in a request for new kitchen cabinets and countertop TODAY!

on a happier note... LOVED the way you captured morningside park... it's beautiful. and the TC does kind of look like Hogwarts.

missed you at play group today. we've been thinking about you guys... did you get all your wallet/bus issues figured out??

The Faucheux's said...

I love the pic's! How fun to live in NY!

"The Landlord" said...

WOW - Beautiful! I LOVE the pic of Ryse in the middle and the pics of everything else - AWESOME! I've never wanted to visit NY so badly! Your apartment looks beautiful as well! Way to go you guys!
PB&J

Anonymous said...

Heather.....? This is your Mother speaking. I'm not sure what parallel universe you are in, but I am certain you are not in Kansas anymore.
Compliments on keeping your chambers neat and stylish. One must always keep up appearances. Remember Martha Stewart did even in jail.

Rhys looks well cared for and content.

Your neighborhood looks like a series of magic doors and secret pathways and gardens, over looking other Whovilles.

Did you go round the church windershins like Bird Ellyn in the Goblin story and disapear?

You must be close to where Gypsy Girl wore her red dancing shoes.

Make sure my Rhys has storybooks and songs and hugs and kisses every day.
Grandma B.

Lisa said...

Your little world does look storybook like! Thanks for the tour. That kitchen is nice, despite being small. It's funny what we take for granted while we have it right! Anyways, I always wanted to live in NY so now I'll just have to live through you guys!

Deters said...

That was a neat little tour. Your appartment looks so adorable. I love how spacious the kitchen is :)
By the way up here the Hudson is not all that bad. In fact it's actually quite beautiful and we went swimming in it this past summer. But that is of course several hundred miles further upstream.